The 4th of July is a good excuse to break out the grill and fireworks, but it’s an even better excuse to get outside and try a new adventure. As outdoor enthusiasts, we have a few ideas. Below are a few of our favorite activities along with specific suggestions by region.
Bike Ride and Ice Cream
There’s something about the wind through your helmet on a summer ride, especially when the temps start to rise. Wildflowers and blue skies abound as the two wheels fly by. Whether it’s a long road grinder or single track adrenaline kick, a cool serving of ice cream is the best post ride fuel. So hop on your bike and support your local ice cream shop. Rent bikes HERE.
- Pacific: Northstar Bike Park and Little Truckee Ice Creamery (Truckee, CA)
- West: Slickrock Trail and Moab Garage Co. (Moab, UT)
- Midwest: Spirit Mountain and The PortLand Malt Shoppe (Duluth, MN)
- East Coast: Kingdom Trails and Northeast Kingdom Country Store(East Burke, VT)
- South: Bent Creek and The Hop Ice Cream Cafe (Asheville, NC)
Early morning adventures bring friends and family closer. Maybe it’s the shared pain of a lack of sleep or the groggy morning silence, either way early birds stick together. Plan your hike so you summit just as the sun rises and don’t forget your camera. Rent hiking/climbing gear HERE.
- Pacific: Mt. Hood Wilderness (Mount Hood, OR)
- West:Mt. Bierstadt (Silverplume, CO)
- Midwest: Mt. LeConte (Gatlinburg, TN)
- East Coast: Bear Mountain State Park (Bear Mountain, NY)
- South: Blood Mountain (Owltown, GA)
The beach is a classic 4th of July destination. Whether it’s along the riverbank, a pond, lake, or the ocean, life is better with your toes in the sand. For a fun outing, pack up a picnic and explore the shore with a paddle board. It’s scientifically proven that food tastes better outside (scientists couldn’t be reached for comment but it’s probably true). Rent paddle boards HERE.
- Pacific: Newport Beach (Newport Beach, CA)
- West: Lake Powell (Lake Powell, AZ)
- Midwest:Van’s Beach (Leland, MI)
- East Coast: Lake Champlain (Burlington, VT)
- South: Siesta Key Beach (Sarasota, FL)
The sound of a river or creek is one of the most relaxing sounds on planet earth. Summer is a great time to grab a kayak or tube and float down the river. For an even better experience we recommend bringing along a cooler, speaker, and a good pair of shades. Rent kayaks HERE.
- Pacific: Wenatchee River (Leavenworth, WA)
- West: South Platte River (Boulder, CO)
- Midwest: Wolf River (Keshena, WI)
- East Coast: James River State Park (Gladstone, VA)
- South: Guadalupe River State Park (San Antonio, TX)
For those who are looking for a true weekend escape, camping is an amazing way to unplug. From sleeping in hammocks to luxury RVs, a little outdoor living is good for the soul. A campsite is a perfect basecamp for all the activities listed above. Reservations are filling up fast so make sure to get to planning ASAP. Rent camping gear HERE.
- Pacific: Yosemite National Park (Yosemite Valley, CA)
- West: Lake Tahoe (Reno, NV)
- Midwest: Starved Rock State Park (Oglesby, IL)
- East Coast:Bar Harbor(Bar Harbor, ME)
- South: Sweetwater Creek State Park (Lithia Springs, GA)
No matter how you decide to spend this 4th of July, we hope you use the extra time off to enjoy some quality time in the great outdoors!